Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thursday's Lament

Wow. It's all a matter of perspective. I'm usually generally dissatistied with the way I look. I don't lose weight easily, my behind is too large, my chest too small, my skin too blotchy......or whatever my perceived flaw du jour is. Today my brother-in-law was diagnosed with MS. I think I should shut up and stop my complaining.



I had to ponder what types of things would be going through my head if I were to receive a diagnosis like that. What would become important, what would wane in priority? Would I suddenly miss the opportunity to engage in intense exercise (heating the body up exacerbates MS symptoms) instead of looking at it as a burden?



My healthy body is not something I can take for granted any longer. It's not an entitlement.



I realize that MS isn't caused by poor personal choices, but so many diseases can be. We can choose to eat right. We can choose to exercise. We can choose to give our brain a work out. All these things help us to prevent cancer, diabetes, alzheimer's, and an endless list of other maladies.



So I guess that's my lament for today......that I haven't been grateful for the less than perfect body I have. It's treating me well and I should be glad I have the opportunity to reciprocate.

What I put in my stomach on Wednesday:


Morning
4 oz Dannon Light 'n Fit Nonfat Yogurt Blueberry Yogurt
1
1/2 cup General Mills Fiber One
0
Subtotal
1
Midday
2 tsp Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise
1
1 item egg
2
1/2 tsp mustard
0
2 Tbsp onion(s)
0
1/2 average jalapeno pepper(s)
0
1 large carrot(s)
0
1 sl df ww bread
1
1/2 serving coleslaw
1
Subtotal
5
Evening
1 serving(s) Applebee's® Cajun Lime Tilapia
6
1 item McDonald's® Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream Cone
3
Subtotal
9
Snack
1 cup Kellogg's Special K Red Berries Cereal
2
1/2 cup fat-free skim milk
1
1/2 cup General Mills Fiber One
0
4 oz Dannon Light 'n Fit Nonfat Yogurt Strawberry Yogurt
1
Subtotal
4
Total Food POINTS values used
19
Food POINTS Balance over (-) under (+)
+3

1 comment:

Ames said...

Thank you for the perspective. Very true. Sorry about your BIL.