Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Importance of Goals

Last night as we were watching Biggest Loser, what struck both of us was the importance of goals----especially short-term ones.

There were four people left. All of them were vying for the final three spots to be able to win $250,000. In order to do this, they had to lose amazing amounts of weight. Two of the four are down so low already that I wondered where they could lose any at all. They all KNEW they had to have ridiculous numbers to stay on the show and every single one of them, without trainers, lost MORE than 10 POUNDS this week! I struggle to lose ten pounds in a month!

Now, I'm not saying we can achieve what they did. They're essentially at 'fat camp' for 15 weeks, with nothing to do but work out and have endless time to prepare weight-friendly dishes. However, there's something about short-term goals that allow us to apply some serious intensity to our plan.....whether it's weight-loss, fitness, financial goals, or sewing a quilt.

With that in mind, I've decided that I need to go after my April goals with the intensity of seagulls fighting over the last dead carp. (I just give you the warm fuzzies, don't I?)
Every morsel that enters my mandible gets logged. If I've eaten all my points, I stop. Period. I will stick to my marathon pre-training with no excuses. I've got to want this. I'm not getting any younger, so losing weight and getting fit aren't going to get easier.

To borrow from Dave Ramsey's money stuff.....I'm going to "live like no one else now, so I can live like no one else later". The goal is worth the struggle.

1 comment:

Pam--in America said...

Good for you! I pray that the Lord will help you stick to your plan and we'll hear about some great weight loss results soon.