Sunday, April 27, 2008

Growing my Garden - Getting Rid of my Gut

This weekend was surprisingly easy other than Friday evening when all I wanted to do was eat. I did have victory. I stayed on target. I realize that I forgot to post yesterday so you didn't get my food log, but I did log it on WW. Yesterday I walked/ran and had a good eating day. It seems that the longer I stay away from the garbage, the less I want it. Part of it, I think, is that after working so hard to lose each ounce I'm that much more conscious of how much each bite matters. If I'm taking three steps forward, why would I want to take two steps back. If my goal is to change my lifestyle, I need to embrace the new lifestyle instead of longing all the time for the old one.

The walks and runs help with this. It's hard work. Why would I want to waste all that effort by eating a Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar. A delicious choice, yes, but 10 minutes after I've made the choice to eat or not eat it....I'm not enjoying it whether I ate it or not. Eating is one of those momentary pleasures. I'm determined to let those crisis moments pass and find something else to do instead of pining for poor food choices. I figure that my garden is going to look great this year if I even take half the time I spend focusing on food and turn that effort toward my garden. I should do before and after pictures of the garden and myself!

Oh, here's Saturday's Log:

Morning
1 Tbsp peanut butter
2
1 sl df ww bread
1
Subtotal
3
Midday
1 cup cooked brown rice
4
1 Tbsp asian stir-fry sauce
1
1 Tbsp soy sauce
0
1/2 cup carrot(s)
0
3/4 cup cabbage, all varieties
0
1 medium green pepper(s)
0
1/2 clove garlic clove(s)
0
1 Tbsp ginger root
0
1/2 cup onion(s)
0
1/2 cup zucchini
0
sausage 1/2 link
4
Subtotal
9
Evening
1 6-inch SUBWAY® Restaurants Turkey Breast Sub
5
1 3/4 Tbsp SUBWAY® Restaurants Fat Free Honey Mustard Dressing
1
11 items Lay's Baked Original Potato Chips
2
1 item Bob Evans® Dill Pickle
0
1 large carrot(s)
0
Subtotal
8
Snack
1/2 medium mango(es)
1
2 small clementine
.5
Subtotal
1.5
Total Food POINTS values used
21.5
Food POINTS Balance over (-) under (+)
+0.5
Exercise
50 min walking, brisk
3
Total Activity POINTS values earned
3

3 comments:

Ames said...

The junk food is so not worth it. I just hope I can remember that. I think from now on I am going to treat myself to fresh fruit, even if it is not on sale. My absolute favorite fruit is mango, so I usually only buy it when the price is good. I think from now on, if it is a special occasion I'm buying myself a mango.

Karen said...

Did you happen to look at my food log for this post? Jim and I split a mango yesterday...we love them, too.

I've started to do that with Clementines. I always cringe at paying a fortune for them, but they are SO good and help keep me on track. Better than spending a buck on a stupid donut and wasting the whole thing.

I'm also trying to program myself to factor in the real 'cost' of eating the garbage before I decide what to eat.

Ames said...

Exactly, a donut MIGHT be cheaper than a mango, but in the long run, is it really?

Thankfully, only three of us really like mangoes. More for me!