Friday, May 9, 2008

Making Healthy Eating Convenient

I just had the BEST lunch. It was possible because I've got my kitchen stocked for success. I have almost every fresh vegetable you could imagine in the fridge and a variety of lower fat meats and fish in the freezer. I grilled some chicken the other night for whenever we need it.

Today I pulled out about a half cup of frozen shrimp, snow peas, fresh ginger, garlic, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and zucchini. I stir-'fried' it in my non-stick wok (that I leave on the stove 24-7) and finished it with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, soy sauce, and some mahvelously pungent cilantro. Oh my. A treat for the eyes, the nose, and my stomach. No fat, no sugar, no guilt.

I have finally switched the rest of my fam over to whole-grain bread. Carrie balked but has come to terms with the fact that we aren't switching back. I miss the convenience of white rice and occasionally will have Jasmine rice in the cupboard, but 90% of the time we eat brown or wild rice. Sometimes I even cook whole wheat berries in with it. There are a few family members that would probably threaten to blow up the house if I took away their sugar (they're over 18 so I don't make an issue of it) but Jim and I really have replaced sweets with fruit. I keep the house stocked with it. It's expensive but it's worth it. I'm not spending the dough on convenience food or garbage treats so it's not much more.

I'm posting yesterday's food list. I was at a restaurant for lunch. There was no way to know exactly the calorie count of what I was eating. The sandwich was fairly easy to estimate because I knew all the ingredients. The soup was tougher so I looked up a recipe for eggplant soup on allrecipes.com, figured the points value, then doubled it just to make sure I wasn't cheating. I also was very conservative when figuring the sandwich as I want to be honest.


Morning
pb on ww bagel
3
Subtotal
3
Midday
eggplant soup sm cup
10
small ff sf froz yog/no cone
2
3/4 lowfat sandwich at restaurant
10
Subtotal
22
Evening
1 1/2 cup cooked green beans
.5
1 medium acorn squash
3
Subtotal
3.5
Snack
2 items graham cracker
1
Subtotal
1
Total Food POINTS values used
29.5
Food POINTS Balance over (-) under (+)
-7.5
Exercise
Total Activity POINTS values earned
0

1 comment:

Ames said...

Congrats on converting the family. . .you deserve a gold star.