Monday, January 28, 2008

World Travelers - I Need Your Help!

Yesterday I dropped Jim off at the airport for Part II of the certification training he's attending. Since I was down in that area, I popped over to my favorite place to get produce, Joe Randazzo's. The place was packed when I was in there, and I was probably one of very few caucasian people in there. That's why I love the place! You'd think you were halfway around the world every time you visit. The people are so diverse and the produce they carry is as well. So, here's where I need your help. I picked up or considered picking up a few different vegetable items that I have never heard of. They are the opo squash, boniato, and eddos. I think both the boniato and eddos are root vegetables, so I will cook them accordingly, but if any of you REALLY know what you're supposed to do with these, give me a shout!

I always try to buy something that is new to me every time I go in. I wait until someone else is getting one out of the bin, and ask them how it is used and prepared. Unfortunately, more often than not, the person doesn't speak english so I end up tracking stuff down on the internet. I've found some info on the boniato but I'd love to hear from someone who's experienced these 'new' things.

I will have to post pictures of Joe's. I come home with a trunk full of produce for about a quarter of what I would have spent on sale at the grocery store.

3 comments:

Pam--in America said...

Well, I was excited at first... thinking that I might be able to help you out. But sorry, no, I must be in the wrong part of the world. I've never even heard of those things! Maybe you could post some pictures when you figure it all out and then I'll recognize it next time I see it.

Karen said...

Thanks for trying, Pam. I took a picture of both of them today but I can't find the cable that links the camera to the computer. When I do, I'll post them.

I did cook part of the boniato. It was very potato-ish. Slightly sweeter than a regular potato, less sweet than a sweet potato and without that distinctive sweet potato taste. Tomorrow I might cook the rest and mash it and see what the kids think of it with pork roast and gravy. Shhhhh...don't tell them it's something weird.

Tori Leslie said...

Well I figured I would be able to help you, I'm kinda a world traveler, :0)
I have never heard of any of those veggies, maybe they have differenct names in diefferent countries. Hmmm, a mystery!