Thursday, January 24, 2008

Taking out the Garbage

In honor of Thursday being 'garbage day' here in Milford, I think I need to carry that thought into my pantry, refrigerator, and my mind.

I'm fairly good about not buying 'junk food' because I know how tempting it is when it's sitting around. However, I grew less vigilant around the holidays and some of that stuff is creeping back into our food supply. My dearly beloved has been working ridiculous hours due to just starting a new position, as well as taking a certification course that only 60% of people pass the first time through. All this to say that he's been coming home exhausted and stressed, with not a speck of energy left to be watching what he eats and definitely looking to eat some 'comfort food'. This is all well and good, except that I tend to eat what he eats and stock some things in my house that he wants to eat that I know I can't eat. Case in point, ICE CREAM!

Today I need to identify those things in my house that are less than great for me, and encourage my 19-yr-old-son-with-the-fuel-guzzling-capacity-of-an-suv to have fun eating and get rid of it all for me.

After cleaning out the fridge and the pantry, I then need to clean out some things from my mind. Things like, 'it's just one piece of cheese.....', 'I don't need to log this, it's just a little (insert food item here)', or ' I don't look so bad right now, I've got a whole year to lose this weight'. That kind of garbage has to go. Period.

It all begins in the mind, doesn't it? Battles in our life are won & lost in that mass of grey matter. Luke 6:45 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. What we have stored up in our mind, is what will spill out into our actions. If we've told ourselves that sugar and fat will satisfy, we will eat those things when we're needing comfort or stress relief, or whatever it is that we think we need. Sometimes we don't tell ourselves these things consciously, but we don't fight vigilantly to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (from II Cor. 10:5)

Eating a bowl of ice cream isn't always a sin issue. Killing myself slowly with foods full of fat and sugar is.

Today I'm taking the garbage out!

4 comments:

TO BECOME said...

Good for you. It wouldn't have helped to keep it around it would have just become rotten and smelly.lol. Thanks for coming to visit. connie

Pam--in America said...

Good for you! That's a big step... but a crucial one.

Marsheila said...

what a good thought Sis Karen we all need to strive on cleaning out our minds as well as our food supplies. my aunt use to always say your digging your grave with your teeth lol and thats so true. I am more motivated than ever to lose this weight this year I am so tired of being FAT....anyway keep up the good work and I'm praying for you sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you I have been under alot of stress with things hope you understand.... Take care.

MARSHEILA

Karen said...

Oh, I'm so excited you all came by--seeing that it's only the second post!